Thursday, April 9, 2020

Deployment Post Series 4 of 10



Picture: Tony coming home from a training and Jemma is so happy to see him. Just as a way of explaining to others who don’t know, part of Army Guard life is also knowing Tony will be gone sometimes out of city or state doing trainings and is committed to one weekend a month doing Army Guard drills. Most of those in Guard with Tony have civilian (non-military) jobs and commit to the Guard in addition to those jobs.

For me, deployment this year taught me that your everything can’t be your therapist, your pastor, your favorite podcaster, your friend. It can’t be your husband or wife or kids. We can’t put all that on any one person. No one person can give you all you need. Only one fountain will not leave you thirsty and that is to drink deeply of the well of Jesus.

The amount of support my community showed me during Tony’s deployment was so incredible. I am so so thankful. 

But I also learned how much I needed people. I am an extrovert and have a tendency to always look to people. I learned I had to turn to God, not people so many times.

Ultimately, people will disappoint you and fail you. People can’t be everything to you. They can’t sustain your every need. If you continue to look to people to meet your needs, you will feel empty. The only one who can truly fill us is Jesus. But people can carry you, walk with you, love you, encourage you, and point you to the one who can sustain you. Drink deeply of the well of Jesus and you will find yourself never thirsty and fully satisfied, surrounded by others desperately loving Jesus with all they have and loving you at the same time.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment