Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Luiken Lowdown

The Luiken Lowdown is my new way of telling you what's been going on with Tony and I! You know The Haps, What's New, What's Up, What's been shakin' bacon- We have had so many new things happening around here and I love it!


After seeking a church home here in Anchorage for awhile, we have finally found a church home that fits us so well. Our new church home is Cornerstone Church and it has been such an amazing experience finding community and fellowship. We love the teaching pastor, Brad, and our young married life group that meets every Sunday night. It is beautiful to begin to build genuine relationships- based on truth about sin and grace and redemption. 
My love for the state of Alaska and its beauty is growing tremendously. Everywhere I look, the Lord's work surrounds me. His fingertips, His creativity, His nature, His majesty envelopes me. There are no words for it. I find myself continually praising the Lord for His work in my life and His ceaseless love. The beauty of the snow and mountains and oceans and sunsets are beyond explanation. They bring me so much peace and remind me of my Creator, my Father.
While Tony was in the Forge and while we were dating, we started a tradition of reading together. This time, it was my turn to pick so now we are reading The Hunger Games! Ah, it's so good! And now I'm taking Tony to the movie coming out. Yesss.
One of my favorite experiences so far in Alaska has been getting to watch the start to the Iditarod Sled Dog race. I have never seen anything like this in my life! One "musher" (which is what they call the person who takes care of the dogs and that the dogs pull on the sled, the racer) trains their dogs for months and prepares them for the 1,000 mile race from Willow, Alaska (near Anchorage) to Nome. It can take anywhere from 10-13 days. We got to see the "ceremonial" start in Anchorage and the actual start that took place in Willow! It was amazing. I will blog more about my experience later :)
Something else I've been getting used to is the sun patterns! Now that it is March the sun is coming up earlier and going down later. I'm still getting used to this change and can't wait to see what the summer is like. To me, more sun time= more time to get to go hiking, fishing, hunting, and camping!
This is our new Betta fish, Mr. Miyagi. Bettas are siamese fighting fish so that's why we named him Mr. Miyagi, after Karate Kid! Our apartment is pretty small so a dog is not really an option right now. We try to cover his eyes when we cook salmon and halibut ;) 
We got a membership to the gym up here, The Alaska Club! Wintery weather + being married + wanting to cook yummy stuff all the time = weight gain. But, Tony and I have been trying to continue to motivate each other to make it a priority. I'm discovering the joy of the swimming pool as of lately and have been learning how to swim for good exercise. It's actually super fun! And, I can't wait to start Zumba classes. 
This last weekend, we went skiing and this was our view from the top of the mountain. Amazing. 
The sun peeking through our apartment window! Come on sun, keep shining and bring on the spring!
At Cornerstone, we have been volunteering with the middle school youth group (6th-8th graders). We get to lead a small group every Wednesday night and this month we are teaching Sunday school. Please be praying for us. We are praying that the Lord uses us in this ministry, that the kids can see Christ in us and that we can seek opportunities to share the gospel. Middle school is a hard age but my heart and passion is geared towards these crazy kids.
Cooking in our apartment is something I look forward to every night. Last week, we made Black Bean Chili with ground turkey meat. YUM. It was so good. And we learned how to make homemade tortillas! Never again will I buy tortillas. Seriously. More recipes to come on the blog! 
I have been trying to challenge myself to make one dessert a week. I know, this conflicts with my Alaska Club and losing weight desires, but hey everyone needs dessert every now and then! Last week, I made this Pineapple Upside Down Cake, which I've never made before and it turned out so good. This week, I'll be making a crispy marshmallow lemon pie. 
As far as work goes, I am currently in training for the next 2 weeks for my job as a social worker. As soon as I get finished, I will get my first case. Please be praying for me for compassion and to be a light to families in need. I know that the work I will be doing is going to be tremendously hard, but I also know the Lord has me here for a reason and to work with specific families for a reason. Hot chocolate is one of my comforts! :)

And I can think of no better way to end than a quote that I found recently from Dietrich BonHoeffer:
“In a word, live together in the forgiveness of your sins, for without it no human fellowship, least of all a marriage, can survive. Don’t insist on your rights, don’t blame each other, don’t judge or condemn each other, don’t find fault with each other, but accept each other as you are, and forgive each other every day from the bottom of your hearts…”
― 
Dietrich BonhoefferLetters and Papers from Prison
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment